Thursday, August 7, 2008

Dèbut: Beginnings

Bonjour! Guten Tag! Hello!

After 23 long hours of stomach aches and sleeplessness, Andy and I arrived in Luxembourg Tuesday, Aug. 5, 2008...only two suitcases short. Thankfully, they were both Andy's. But Herwig was kind enough to let Andy wear his drawers. :)

After getting settled in Debbie and Herwig's adorable 1800s house with stone walls painted yellow and low ceilings (especially in the shower), life in Europe began with no time to recover from jetlag. The first priority was picking up Clara Jeanne from kresh, or daycare. The little tike isn't walking by herself quite yet, but she is proficient at "bye bye," high fives and peekaboo.

In our first two days, we toured the city, bought good beers at the grocery store, and I didn't get out of my pajamas until 5 p.m. today. But Andy has been a bit busier.

Last week, Herwig woke up in the middle of the night with an idea for Andy: a one-year grad school program in Luxembourg to receive an MBA. In a whirlwind of applications and an interview (only having received his suitcase an hour before), Andy managed to impress the professors and received notice today that he was accepted. No American has ever been in the program before, but they, and I quote, liked Andy because he is full of energy. So, Andy will definitely be here for a year and he will leave with a master's degree in innovation and entreprenuership. Oh, and it is free because it is sponsored by local businesses.

As for me, I have applied to a position at an English language magazine here called 352. More on that later.

The five of us are taking off Friday to head to Bavaria, to Herwig's parents' cabin. We will be hanging out, fishing in their pond and taking the train to nearby cities for about 10 days.

Until next time, here are some photos...

3 comments:

Logan and Stevie Ipsen said...

Way exciting! Hopefully the two of you get to still be tourists once and a while! I didn't know Andy was going with you...Is this serious???? Apparently!

Logan and Stevie Ipsen said...

FYI, don't try to visit my blog, as the Ipsens have had several in the works in the past few years and have not ever posted anything. I will try this time around, as I like my blog title a little better that the rest.

Laura said...

I love it! What a wonderful (and romantic) European adventure. I'm so glad you have a blog to keep us all posted. Pics are GREAT! Take some of Debbie's place, I want to show my mom too. Au revoir! (I don't know German, only a little French:)